Chickpea Flour Savoury Pancakes
Great Idea for Pancake Day – No Animal Products
(Recipe produced by Shambhu’s: Catering with Compassion at http://www.shambhus.co.uk)
Makes: 4 pancakes
Equipment: Non-stick frying pan
● 100 grams gram (chickpea) flour
● 150 millilitres water
● juice from . lime/lemon
● 50 grams soya yoghurt
● . teaspoon powdered black pepper
● . teaspoon per pancake of fruit salt or bi-carbonate of soda
● less than . teaspoon ajwain seeds
● . thumb size piece fresh ginger
● a few spinach leaves
● 3 sprigs fresh coriander leaves
● . tomato, diced
● . red onion, diced
● . green chilli (optional)
● salt to taste
● oil to grease the pan
Preparation (pancake batter):
Soak the gram flour in the water and soya yoghurt for approximately 2 hours.
If the batter is left for longer than 2 hours, that is fine too.
1. Dice the tomatoes and onions, and slice the chillies into finely chopped rings.
2. Finely chop the coriander and spinach leaves.
3. Start warming a frying pan. When it’s slightly hot, grease the pan and sprinkle a pinch of salt.
4. Then use a kitchen paper to wipe off the salt and oil from the pan.
5. Add the salt, powdered black pepper and ajwain seeds to the gram flour batter, and mix thoroughly.
6. Into a teacup, add some gram flour batter, then add a quarter teaspoon of fruit salt or bicarbonate soda, stir vigorously, and immediately pour onto the heated pan in a circular motion.
7. Work very quickly to make the pancake circular, thin and approximately 6 inches in diameter.
8. While the top side of the pancake is wet, sprinkle the chopped coriander, spinach, tomatoes and onions onto it.
9. Cook the pancake on medium heat, and don’t let it burn.
10. After a couple of minutes, check whether the pancake is easy to lift off the pan and if the underside has cooked to golden brown. Add oil to the pancake edge if necessary to lift the pancake
11. If the pancake has turned to golden brown, turn the pancake over and let it cook on the other side.
12. If not, add a little oil to the pancake edge and repeat from step 9.
13. Remove the cooked pancake from the pan and serve on a plate with e.g. tomato ketchup.
One thought on “New Pancake Recipe from Shambhu’s”
Reblogged this on .